Friday, May 27, 2011

In-Class Online lesson #8 - War: Living Hell

Diary of Civilian of the World War 2 - Japanese Occupation

Dear Diary,
                  Yesterday was a disaster for me. The Kempeitai, who had treated us civilians badly, beat me today. It was some days after my resources had been finished. During these days, resources were scare. The price of these necessaries soared and I had difficulties paying for necessaries. The value of banana money issued by the Japanese dropped, since the authorities would print more whenever they needed money.  This caused the food quality to decrease greatly. We had to be satisfied with staple food like sweet potatoes and tapioca. 
                  Yesterday, I was queuing up to buy some sweet potatoes. Just then, the Kempeitai came. Everyone started to bow to them. However, I did not spot them as I was busy choosing sweet potatoes. Immediately, they walked towards me. Finally, I spotted them and managed a small bow. However, it was too late as they started to pull me and beat me. Finally after I was rolling on the floor groaning in pain, they left with smug grins over their faces. I was angered, but could not do anything at all.
                   The Japanese Occupation caused great damage to the people of Singapore. We suffered loss of people, and many of my relatives were killed. Everyday, I wished that a miracle would happen and I would be saved from this nightmare. Also, we were too reliable on the British, which I believed that they surrendered    so easily. Singapore, in the future, is going to need to work hard to build up a solid defence, too protect Singapore from enemies. I hope that my children would e able to learn from the previous generation's mistake, and strive hard to make Singapore a better place in the future. 
                  That's all for now. I think I will go to sleep. Such a rotten day it was yesterday, and I had still not recovered from the wounds given to me by the Kempeitai. Hope I live through this horrible war.

No comments:

Post a Comment