Sunday, May 8, 2011

In-class online lesson #6 - Letter of Encouragement and Empathy

         Dear survivor of the disaster,

    When I knew about the enormous earthquake, my heart really went to all the people in Japan. Such damage was caused to you people, but you did not deserve it. I understand your fears. 8,133 people were confirmed dead, 12,272 missing. It is such a terrible new, and your relatives might be among them.

    The Earth is a strange place. Strange things that are hard to find to why happens. There are losses and gains, and you are now suffering from the effects of a loss. I wished that I could help, in a way or another. I wish that I could donate millions of dollars to the survivors of Japan, to make life better. But I can't, I cannot donate billions or millions of dollars, or work as a worker to search for survivors trapped in the collapsed buildings. I can only write this letter, offering my empathy and encouragement.

    Be strong. The loss of a relative is hard, but it had happened. Although I had not experienced such a disaster, I can feel your sorrows. However, this cannot and will not be undone. This is a terrible experience you are facing, and you must overcome it. This is life. We cannot predict what will happen next, but we can choose whether we would stand up after a fall. Stand up and face the challenge. Let everyone know that you are capable of it. We care, everyone from the world cares. Nobody will be happy when disasters struck in other countries. We plead with you to be strong.

    Staying strong and healthy will be what your families want to. Your families would definitely not want you to follow them. Even though they are gone, their hearts will always be in your mind. I am sure of it. They will not want you to be fall sick. If you do not pull through, that might happen to you. Therefore, please, be strong. With that, I end my letter, once again, I am sorry for what you are going through, and hope that you will stay strong.

         With Love from
         Lin Weihan

No comments:

Post a Comment