Thursday, July 14, 2011

In-Class online lesson #10 - Shakespeare in the News

    A present-day conflict is the "New Australian Law to pass for burqa ban"

      It was a beautiful Sunday. But not so perfect after the Australians's most populous state New South Wales giving the police the power to ask Muslim women to life their veils! This morning, when I was going shopping with my wife in New South Wales. Two more days and we will be leaving to go back to our country. However, just as we reach the shopping mall, a policeman stop us, asking my wife to lift her veil! My wife refused, politely. However, the policeman refused to back down and told my wife angrily that she can be fined up to $55000 or having to spend a whole year inside prison! Of course there was a fuss. I was so angry! What is this! These people do not accept our culture!

       The New South Wales officials say that the law is implemented so that more authority for the police can be assure. I think that it is culturally insensitive! This law harms the basic rights of immigrants Muslims and us, tourists! Although this law does not ban anything directly, chances of burqa clad women being mistreated by police will definitely increase! Thus, I feel that such a rule is insensitive and Australia should make away such a rule!

Reflections:
   I feel that we should not have such a law, although it will mean more authority for the police, reducing crime. However, I feel that it is being insensitive to other people's culture. I think that it is important to respect others, and not create such a law that will anger those of that culture. In the history of Singapore, the Maria Hertogh Riot, was because of religious insensitive, thus leading to anger in the Muslims and such an unhappy situation ended with several deaths and even more injuries. It was such a horrifying experience that the Singapore government used Social Studies to educate the students about the troubles if we do not be sensitive about such topics. Thus, I think that maintaining sensitivity and thus not setting up such a law is better, since religion is a sensitive topic and the Australian government should be more careful and not have such a law.  

No comments:

Post a Comment